Monday 16 April 2012

Dance Like SOCAN's Watching

Now I’ve been doing my research for venues with relative consistency since getting engaged as there have been other things going on, i.e. school, but the thing I keep running into is SOCAN.

At first, I had no idea why these venues were suddenly listing SOCAN fees in their “Rates” section in regards to music. Since when did people have to pay to play some Biggie Smalls and Pachelbel at their weddings? Can’t I just pop in a CD so I can pop my booty in peace?

Apparently not.

SOCAN, short for Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers Canada, wants some of that paper because "music creators are entitled to collect their licence fees". 

Okay. I get it. They created the music and they chose to share it with the world…for a price. Fine, whatever, that’s their livelihood. Pretty annoying since I feel that music belongs to everyone, but since Napster in the 90’s, musicians have become anal about the whole thing so might as well give them their pacifier…I mean money.

But it gets worse. 

Not only do you have to pay the SOCAN fee for playing whatever mish-mash of songs you want at your wedding, but you also have to pay a fee if you, or anyone else at the party, has the audacity to dance to it.

That’s right. You have to pay a fee in order to dance. 

At your own wedding. 

It’s kind of like going to the club, except your family is there, it’s more expensive and there’s less chance that some random drunk guy will grope you at some point in the night…at least when you’re the bride.

But I digress, because honestly, this is some Third Reich shit. 

Dance has existed probably before any distinct, official spoken language ever came into focus. If anything, spoken language evolved from dance, given that non-verbal communication is ingrained in our DNA. Every single living being moves –even plants have demonstrated the ability to turn in whichever direction provides the most sunlight –and yet there is a law that has stamped a price on the natural inclination to dance.

The absurdity of it all genuinely renders me speechless.

Unfortunately, most venues include SOCAN fees in their rental price, so I can’t be all rebellious about it and not pay. Though I’m very much the kind of person who’d probably get arrested (or at the very least fined) at their own wedding, I’d rather it didn’t happen.

It’s one of those getting married things I’m going to have to put up with. Like wearing heels *shudder*.

No comments: